Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chapter Sixteen: Small Pleasures Offset Trauma

I am here to tell you two things: the first is that you don't have to unlock your iPhone with the secret pass code, and then press the symbol for phone, and then find the little graphic that means key pad before you dial 911 to save a 10 year old child who is lying convulsing on the floor from a seizure of some kind. (especially when at that time your brain has clearly ceased to function, your fingers have turned into shaking logs, and your chest feels like it is being crushed.) Guess what, it turns out I am not good under pressure.
I realize this shows what a techno-idiot I am, but I found out after the fact that there is an emergency call button right on the front there. So I could have been garbling my frantic call for help, (while the boy's mother performed desperate CPR), much faster.  Did I know the address of where we were?  Did I mention brain having ceased to function?  I didn't think "somewhere near the Natural Gardener" really cut it.  Nor did "Mountain Crest something."  However, miraculously, five enormous firemen appeared in our tiny classroom very quickly and took over the situation.  The child was transported safely to hospital where after numerous tests that went late into the night and which proved frustratingly inconclusive, he was sent home, feeling "fine."
The rest of us carried on our shaky way and finished out the day. I hope I am never in such a situation again, but if I am I hope to be able to react a little more capably.
The second thing I would like to say, is that cleaning one's baseboards in the bathrooms is incredibly satisfying, and provides a soothing sense of accomplishment.  It turns out I can do a kick-ass job of cleaning baseboards.  Good to know I am good at something. sheesh.

1 comment:

  1. It was very scary. I have replayed it endlessly in my head.

    ReplyDelete