Friday, December 7, 2012

Chapter Four: "All I want for Christmas..."

There has been lots of discussion about what people want for Christmas.  There always is at this time of year. I like to provide the Eeyore viewpoint on Christmas present possibilities, and I usually hint that any Christmas at all is fairly unlikely. (Beside, wouldn't it be nice to be completely content with a broken balloon that fits perfectly inside an empty honey pot?) I have played this role for years now, and my children who are now older, no longer look at me with worried expressions but see through my grinch-like facade. I am told that I say that every year, and there are always presents at Christmas.  Ha! However... this might be the year to say "Never Cry Wolf"?
One would think that having two jobs in the family might mean that not only would there be Christmas, but that it would be celebrated in a style and opulence hitherto unknown in our family.  One might think that, but, one would be wrong.  Because if both adults are working and are completely consumed by the demands of their respective jobs then they might fail to notice the strange wrinkling in the kitchen floor.  Their heads are so off in the clouds you see, that they don't notice the floor until water squishes up between the boards, and their socks have suffered repeated soakings. Well, would you look at that? (they say in bemusement) The whole kitchen floor is ruined. Humph. How annoying.  After the plumber comes, it is determined that the dishwasher is the culprit, and needs to be replaced. How nice.  Wasn't I just saying that what we really wanted for Christmas was a new dishwasher, and new flooring?  I'm sure I heard the kids say that's what they wanted too.  Well kids, it looks like you are going to get your wish after all.  And to think the parents were talking about silly things like cell phones and what not. Dishwashers are MUCH bigger, and have almost as many buttons.  Hurray.
I did buy myself one present though, (which may be slightly unfair seeing as everyone else has to share the dishwasher), but if I happen see a travelling Santa ornament where he is using a new and different mode of transportation I just have to buy it. And yesterday I found him on a camel.
 I like it.  I think it presents an interesting blend of the secular and the religious. Santa as wise man? Absolutely.  Maybe not as fun as Santa riding a polar bear, or Santa riding a pig, but still quite whimsical on a more elevated level.
As for the dishwasher and floor, well, I have also heard the possibility of walking on concrete and hand-washing the dishes discussed, so maybe there will be a Christmas afterall.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think family bonding is probably the best thing that dish washing can offer. And Christmas is a time for family bonding right? I think that maybe everyone should start washing dishes by hand during the Christmas season. It should become a tradition. Man, I'm liking this idea. Wanna join us in adopting a new tradition?

    ReplyDelete